Senator David Norris' address to Seanad Eireann (the Irish Senate)

In Sept. 2007, fourteen months before Ireland's bank bailout, I resigned from my position as the Risk Manager of UniCredit Bank Ireland. I did that in order not to incriminate myself. I have spent the last 4 years seeking justice. On Feb. 23rd., 2010, I was fortunate to have Senator David Norris raise the matter in Seanad Eireann (the Irish Senate), and request a response from the Minister of Finance, Mr. Brian Lenihan. Senator Norris concluded by stating that:
"...there is ministerial responsibility in this matter. This is a grossly serious matter which has been reported to the Financial Regulator. A man has lost his job as a result. He honourably resigned. The degree of breach was 40 times the accepted margin. This is a disaster. If we are not prepared to face the issue and investigate it when it has been laid before the House, there is absolutely no hope for the financial system or its reputation worldwide...How can the Financial Regulator investigate himself? He was in breach of his responsibility."
http://debates.oireachtas.ie/seanad/2010/02/23/00012.asp
In Nov. 2011, Emma Alberici, Europe correspondent for ABC TV, told my story as part of her documentary 'Going Rogue' which featured Nick Leeson and Sir John Vickers among other interviewees. It is ironic that at a time when the Irish tax-payer is bailing out un-secured bond holders, my story which occurred in Dublin, is deemed of interest to the Australian TV license payer. Please click on 'play video' on the following link:
http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2011/s3367080.htm
VRT, Belgian state-TV, aired this interview with me on March 6th., 2013. My Interview begins in minute 27:
Het verdriet van Europa: Zeepbellen blazen (The sadness of Europe: Bursting bubbles)
VRT, Belgian state-TV, released extra footage of my interview on March 8th., 2013. (in English):
Whistleblower.IRL@gmail.com

Thursday 4 August 2011

Freedom of Speech in Ireland?!?

In response to a blog posting on Bocktherobber titled 'David Norris and the Troll', a comment was made which I would like to respond to.

Here is a link to the Bocktherobber piece:

Here is the comment:

____________________________________________________________________________

29. ObsessiveMathsFreak August 2nd, 2011 2:24 pm

Here’s a prime example of the kind of unfollowed scandal I mentioned in my previous post.
This story may as well not exist as far as the Irish Media are concerned.
____________________________________________________________________________

My response:
The Irish Times decided for reasons only known to itself not to make any reference to the fact that David Norris had raised my issue in the Seanad (Irish senate) two months earlier. The fact of the matter is that the Time's interest in my story came on foot of the debate in the Seanad; why did they neglect to mention this in the article? I have some ideas, but I shall keep them to myself.

The so called 'Irish Independent' is part of the INM group. INM and UniCredit Ireland have had a very comfortable relationship at board-room levels. Hence every approach that was made to me by journalists from the INM group of papers (The Irish Independent, Sunday Independent, Evening Herald, Sunday World and The Star) soon fell very silent. So while Kevin Myers was justifiably calling clearly and loudly for board-room level accountability in Ireland, he probably did not realise that this applied to his home turf, just as it did to the Central Bank, Anglo-Irish, AIB etc'.
The lone voices reporting on my story have been Kathleen Barrington in the Sunday Business Post and Michael Smith who dedicated the cover story of last December's Village magazine to my story. Michael Smith had to delay printing of the magazine on account of telephone threats made to his office by one of Dublin's leading law firms. Obviously, the threats were made on behalf of the firm's client - UniCredit Bank Ireland.
Here are some examples:

One does wonder why it is that a debate in the Austrian parliament about my story and its relevance to the meltdown of the Irish banking system, never got mentioned in any of Ireland's daily press. 'Free speech & informed journalism' anyone?!?


whistleblower.irl@gmail.com